Get your marketing on track with a Virtual CMO
Is Your Marketing Plan Working for You?
Is your current marketing plan bringing you good returns? If your answer is “no”, or “I’m not sure”, you may have a problem.
The more money you throw into your marketing, the larger your return should be. The same applies to time. More time = larger return.
But what if that’s not the case? Spending for no return is just plain wasteful. Not measuring your marketing effort is worse. You’ll never know if your marketing machine is a well-oiled moneymaker, or a rusty old heap.
Perhaps it’s time to hire a Virtual (or outsourced) Chief Marketing Officer (vCMO)?
How can a Virtual CMO solve your problem?
A traditional, full-time CMO can certainly help your business. But you can’t afford one right now. Maybe you can, but there are several benefits to hiring the virtual counterpart.
Firstly, they cost less money. You’ll only pay hours worked. There’s no risk of an idle employee being paid every month. You get what exactly what you pay for.
It will also save your team valuable time. If there’s no marketing expert on your team, the duties are probably split up. This makes for an unreliable, unfocused marketing effort.
The expertise of a Virtual CMO will ensure that you spend money in the right places for maximum gain. Any business will benefit from focused, reliable marketing execution.
A few more benefits worth mentioning:
- Reduce unnecessary marketing spend
- Perfectly measurable
- External view of the business
- More defined and focused marketing strategy – what to focus on in the short, medium and long term
What does a Virtual CMO do, exactly?
A virtual CMO fulfills all the duties of an in-house CMO, remotely. Kind of like how VA’s (Virtual assistants) have replaced PA’s (Personal assistants).
So you’ll get someone to take ownership of your marketing plan – from start to finish. And this for 20-70% less money than a traditional CMO.
Makes sense, doesn’t it?
If you’re not keen on the idea of remote workers, you could hire a vCMO until you have the budget for a $70-200k salary in your team. But you’d be foregoing the benefits of a vCMO.
A vCMO brings a wider variety of skills and experience with him. A traditional CMO might have worked for a few companies, but a vCMO has most likely worked with many more – in different industries.
The skilled vCMO can perform a variety of tasks, including:
- Building consistency and focus into your marketing activities
- Content creation, SEO and social media efforts
- Guiding your branding (or rebranding) process
- Mapping out and implementing your email marketing and automated lead nurturing system
- Improving your onboarding, sales and product or service delivery processes
- Documenting and systemising your marketing and sales processes while helping to upskill your virtual assistant and other team members
… to name a few.
Should the vCMO not have the above skills, you can bet that they’ll have connections to experts in the relevant fields.
Are you actually ready for a Virtual CMO?
The best time to hire a vCMO would probably be last week. Opportunities pass us by every day and your lack of a vCMO could be costing you opportunities. That said, a vCMO is still an extra expense.
So we’d only suggest going down this road if:
- Your business is generating between $30K – $50K per month, or are on target to generate that within the next 12-24 months.
- You’ve got a strong sales process i.e. if we put 10 qualified people in front of you you’d be able to convert the majority of them into paying customers
- You can allocate at least $2.5K per month budget towards marketing
- You have a small team of people working in the business, and one of them is a dedicated virtual admin, process or marketing person to help execute on marketing tasks (or you’re open to bringing onboard a VA in the next 3 months)
- You provide B2B/professional services and/or run an online business
- You value content publishing and understand the importance of building a brand and profile over time
- You don’t expect miracle results overnight. Marketing is an investment and on average it will take up to 12 months to see positive results based on specific experiments, consistent effort, measurement and tweaking along the way.
Sound like a Virtual CMO might be a good fit for your business, and curious to find out more? Schedule a quick 15-min call now.