- Want to attract more buyers and homeowners? This guide will show you how to market your real estate agency or brokerage online.
- Why real estate marketing is important
- Common mistakes with real estate marketing
- Blog posts that aren’t optimized for search engines
- Blog posts that aren’t optimized for mobile
- No customer case studies on the site
- No way to join your email list and signal interest
- Overcrowded website menu
- Launching a book, podcast, or other tactics without a clear strategy
- Marketing channels and strategies for real estate professionals
- Developing a real estate marketing plan for your business
- Work with a marketing consultant or marketing coach.
- Managing your time for success
- Outsource content creation
- Tips for optimizing your real estate website to attract and capture leads
- Build your real estate brand
- Content Marketing and SEO for your real estate business
- Real estate marketing ideas: 17 Types of content that build credibility and trust
- Making the most of social media in real estate marketing
- Showcase Your Properties in Style: Creative ways to market your listings to buyers and sellers
- Build a stronger relationship with your clients
- It’s your turn
Want to attract more buyers and homeowners? This guide will show you how to market your real estate agency or brokerage online.
Why real estate marketing is important
Today, most real estate agents and brokers are expected to do more than just find buyers for homes. They must also be skilled marketers who can bring in potential clients with innovative marketing strategies to increase their conversion rates and generate more revenue for their business.
While most real estate professionals are local businesses helping local homeowners to sell properties and assisting new homeowners through their home buying process, relying on word of mouth alone will limit growth (it also puts your business at risk if referrals run dry).
A few questions worth considering:
- Do your property listings, social media accounts, and online marketing speak to potential buyers?
- Have you got a clear digital marketing strategy covering real estate listings, virtual tours, mobile websites, email marketing, and search engine optimization?
- Are home buyers and investors finding you through search engines and engaging with your content?
If not, you’ll struggle to attract qualified leads online.
Many agents and brokers don’t have any real experience in marketing, so they rely on outdated methods to promote their business.
So in a highly competitive real estate market, you must take your marketing efforts seriously and level up your marketing skills.
The good news is that we’re here to help with this guide.
Common mistakes with real estate marketing
I recently had a consultation call with a buyer’s agent who wanted some help with marketing their business. They shared that their marketing was already working well on the call, but they felt they were missing a few things.
When I asked what they felt they were missing specifically, they replied with, “I think I need a podcast.”
They really couldn’t give me a strategic reason for starting a podcast when I probed further. This was a major red flag for me, as I’ve seen it before – business owners launching podcasts that go nowhere.
So I did a quick audit of the agent’s website and noticed they had a blog, but it wasn’t being updated regularly. They also weren’t optimizing their website for keywords, their site wasn’t creating a great user experience, and they didn’t have any videos or content that quickly answered their ideal client’s most pressing questions.
Once you’ve identified where you’re falling short, you can begin to fix them and see an improvement in your real estate marketing results.
In order to improve your chances of success when marketing your real estate business online, avoid making the following common mistakes.
Blog posts that aren’t optimized for search engines
When was the last time you went beyond the first page of Google for a single query? So if you’re looking to grab the attention of more home buyers and investors online, you need your content to rank on page one of Google’s search results.
When blog posts don’t take into consideration keywords and SEO, they aren’t optimized for search engines.
That means your prospective buyers won’t find your content, and you’ll miss out on targeted traffic.
Blog posts that aren’t optimized for mobile
Then there’s the issue of blog posts that aren’t optimized for mobile, meaning potential buyers won’t be able to access them when they’re using their smartphones or tablets.
No customer case studies on the site
When it comes to demonstrating to prospective buyers that you can deliver results, there’s no better way than sharing real case studies with them.
For example, you could create a page of customer success stories on your website and share stories about how many homes customers bought or sold through your business, as well as the benefits they received from working with you.
Free resource: Learn our 6-step process for crafting winning case studies.
No way to join your email list and signal interest
Failure to offer a way for visitors to subscribe to your email list shows a failure to build trust with your audience, which often results in lost business opportunities.
Email marketing is one of the best ways to engage with prospective customers repeatedly and create long-term relationships. If you want to grow an email list that will generate more leads over time, you need a clear call-to-action on every blog post so visitors can sign up for updates.
This means making sure that you offer some kind of valuable resource at the bottom of each page in exchange for visitors’ names, email addresses, and maybe even their phone numbers (for follow-up calls or SMS marketing).
As a guide, conversion rate optimization experts suggest that the optimal number of menu items for a website is five or less, with the most critical items appearing on your top navigation bar.
If you have more than seven menu options, visitors won’t find what they’re looking for quickly and easily. Plus, it will lead to a cluttered look that drives away potential buyers trying to find out about your real estate business online.
Are you currently making any of these common mistakes with your marketing?
Launching a book, podcast, or other tactics without a clear strategy
So you’ve taken the time to write a book and get it published, and you’re hosting a book launch event soon. Good for you!
Now, what’s your strategy to leverage your book launch for maximum marketing return on investment (ROI)? How will you get the biggest bang for your buck with your book?
Perhaps you think launching a podcast is a good idea, so you’re excited about making it happen.
What’s your strategy for making the most out of all the time, money, and energy required to get the episodes published regularly? Did you know that most podcasts experience “pod fade” and never make it past episode twenty?
If you’re not tying any of these tactics to your overall marketing strategy, they won’t help attract more buyers. Your time and money will have been wasted!
Marketing channels and strategies for real estate professionals
There are various ways real estate agents and brokers can attract new clients to their business. Here is a list of some marketing channels you should consider:
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Influencer marketing
- Listing Syndication
The most important thing is that your content resonates with the audience, generates leads for your real estate business, and drives traffic back to your website to build an online presence for yourself.
Most importantly, it’s about providing value in all forms (i.e., offering insightful blog posts) so potential customers will want more information from you! When trying to land new buyers or renters who might not be actively searching on real estate listing sites, you need this kind of exposure.
Developing a real estate marketing plan for your business
You wouldn’t sign a deal for a new development project without first seeing the plan, right?
Before leaping into marketing ideas, the first step to creating a real estate marketing strategy for your real estate business is deciding on the target audience you want to attract.
This will help determine which platforms and strategies are best suited for promoting your services online, as well as what content needs to be created to reach that particular group of people who might need real estate services.
You should also determine the resources you have available to implement your marketing plan and how much time, and money can be invested in each channel that’s being used. Both agents and brokers must establish a budget that will help them stay within their means while still getting results from their efforts instead of wasting time on activities that don’t give back anything positive.
Lastly, real estate marketers need to set goals to know what success looks like when it comes to achieving certain milestones regarding their business’s online presence.
This is where conversion rates come into play because these metrics are commonly used by businesses everywhere across all industries!
Here are some great tips about converting visitors into leads:
- Be prepared before making contact
- Address their concerns and provide solutions as quickly as possible
- Provide a free consultation or discounts for those who sign up
Now that you have the essentials to creating an effective real estate marketing strategy, it’s time to implement everything so your agency or brokerage can start seeing excellent results online!
There are many great tools worth investing in if these ideas aren’t enough. But before doing all of this, remember what makes businesses successful: value creation through content marketing!
This is the most important thing about promoting yourself because people gravitate towards things they perceive to be helpful rather than hard-selling them something right off the bat.
It doesn’t matter how much money you spend on advertising unless you provide quality information upfront that helps prospects.
Work with a marketing consultant or marketing coach.
Suppose you have no idea where to start. In that case, a marketing consultant will help guide your efforts and implement a comprehensive content or marketing strategy that can propel your business forward in an online world!
Even if you’ve already got traction in your local market and you’re looking to gain more exposure through content marketing, it’s worth considering reaching out to a consultant.
They can help you implement new ideas, give advice when needed, and offer guidance on how best to achieve the results you want with your current resources for them to be utilized most effectively! This is why consultants are so helpful for businesses who wish to grow and scale their business beyond the limits of what they can do themselves.
What’s important is investing time into content marketing because it provides prospective clients with enough information to know whether or not they want to work with you.
It’s also about being consistent, so your audience will trust what you have to say and continue coming back for more!
Businesses should invest in a consultant or coach because this allows them to focus on other essential components that need attention, such as closing deals or managing staff while letting experts handle the marketing side!
Managing your time for success
This is another area where real estate professionals need to focus on getting the results they want for their business.
It’s easy to fall into the trap of feeling overwhelmed because so many things can be done online nowadays, whether it’s developing a blog or using social media marketing.
Focus on one strategy and channel at a time
The critical thing about this industry is you should only do what works best and invest your time (and money) wisely! Don’t waste hours away from showing houses by trying new strategies unless you know exactly how much traffic each platform brings in to generate leads and conversions.
You might even come up with better ideas after measuring these metrics before moving forward. Therefore, it all comes down to experimenting with different channels until something sticks.
Remember that real estate marketing is a long-term process, so you should always focus on getting the best possible results for your business without burning yourself out in the meantime!
Leverage time-saving tools and marketing automation
If you’re using different tools to help your team with their workload, this could be a game-changer because it will save everyone’s energy for better results!
You should also start automating specific processes like lead scoring and nurturing, so every prospect goes through each stage towards closing. By doing this, agents can spend less time worrying about follow-ups and focus instead on getting new clients, which increases revenue!
Hire a virtual assistant to help with marketing and sales follow up
If you don’t have enough time to do everything, the best thing you can do is hire an assistant!
This will give your business a leg up on the competition. Having a virtual assistant handle tedious marketing and sales admin means you’ll have more time to focus on activities that can help you grow your business.
It’s no surprise that the most successful real estate professionals are leveraging technology and marketing support teams to get ahead of their competitors.
Your virtual assistant can also help you with:
- Customer relationship management,
- Online Research
- Updating real estate listings,
- Managing your email marketing campaign,
- Scheduling content using marketing tools,
- Social media
- Producing marketing materials,
- And more!
Here’s a list of 50 tasks you can outsource to a VA to give you some more ideas.
Wondering how do you even begin identifying which tasks to outsource?
In the following video, Cheryl Leong, Director of The Growth Hub – a firm that specialises in matching Australian real estate businesses with virtual assistants, shares some great advice.
Outsource content creation
Producing articles, case studies, lead magnets, website content, landing pages, online quizzes, email newsletters, social media posts, brochures, and marketing assets may consume all of your time.
Why not let professionals take care of it, which would allow you to spend your time more productively? You’ll also get better quality of work too. Furthermore, you can free up your time to focus on more essential things, i.e., selling houses.
For instance, you can hire a content writer or creator for specific topics or even create an ongoing relationship because they’ll be able to help with blog posts and social media updates when it comes down to increasing reach online.
Don’t forget that real estate marketing has changed drastically over the last decade due to technological advancements. Hence, professionals need to keep up with these changes if they’re going to compete against other agencies or brokerages in their area.
The good news is that content marketing specialists must stay on top of the newest marketing trends and tools, so you don’t have to.
Time-poor or don’t have an in-house marketing person to implement your strategy? Consider outsourcing your content creation. We can assist with this — Book in a complimentary 15-min chat today.
Tips for optimizing your real estate website to attract and capture leads
It’s a given that you need a professional website for your local business in today’s world. So what can you do to optimize your real estate website to attract and capture leads?
Add a blog to your site and update it regularly
Entice people with interesting keyword-optimized content relevant to your geographical location and audience.
This makes it easy for leads to opt-in by providing their personal contact information for more details or suggestions on other areas of interest.
Optimize your About page (and other web pages)
Use your About page to share:
- Your background story (why did you even start your business? What’s your mission?),
- Social proof from past clients, e.g., testimonials, case studies, reviews
- Awards you’ve won,
- Photos of happy customers enjoying themselves at open houses or events your business hosts.
This all adds to painting a holistic picture about your business that gives prospects added incentive when making purchasing decisions!
Check out Hubspot’s guide on how blogging can help grow your real estate business if you’d like some additional guidance. Hence, agents successfully generate leads online through search engine optimization (SEO) techniques.
Optimize for mobile
People are using their smartphones and tablets more than ever before, so real estate agents must have a site optimized for these devices.
This means your website needs to be responsively designed, which means you’ll build the layout in such a way where it automatically adjusts based on screen resolution when viewed from any device, whether it’s desktop or handheld. It also has to load quickly, too, if brokers want people actually to view the content!
Offer valuable resources as lead magnets
If you’re targeting first-time investors or buyers, why not produce some high-value content such as a first-time buyers guide that will help them make important decisions in the buying process?
You could also offer a free webinar, local suburb report, or consultation for those who sign up to receive more information. Potential leads will be able to get a feel for you and your service, and if they’re not satisfied, then there’s no harm done!
If your focus is on high-end premium properties or commercial real estate, then you may want to test paid consultations as your conversion tool.
Build your real estate brand
The adage is that “people buy from people,” and that’s true in real estate – people want to work with someone they like and trust. Having a solid brand is the best way to build yourself up as an authority, making it easier for prospects to feel confident working with you when buying or selling their home!
As a real estate agent or broker, it’s essential to build your brand online because this makes it easier for people to recognize you when they see your name in the search engine results.
Here are some ways real estate agents can build up their brand online:
Optimize your real estate website
Have a website that offers additional information on who you are and what sets you apart from other sales associates. Add testimonials and case studies about the quality of service delivered, especially since consumers love reading reviews before doing business with someone new.
Be seen. Engage and build your online presence.
Connect with others via blogging or participating in social media conversations. This allows more visibility while also strengthening relationships.
Show empathy through online interactions
Try to engage with people on an emotional level because this helps build up trust among potential clients looking for someone they can depend upon in the future when it comes down to making decisions related to buying or selling a home. There are just so many benefits that come from establishing these kinds of connections!
Join business networking groups and communities (locally and online)
The key here is to focus on participating and adding value as an active member, not pitch your services.
Doing everything mentioned above consistently helps increase visibility and overall results over time.
Related: Should I join a BNI group?
Content Marketing and SEO for your real estate business
Why bother investing in content marketing and SEO?
The answer is simple… because it works!
Here are some real estate marketing statistics to show how content, in general, is critical for any business today:
- 70% of users search for local businesses on Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
- Majority of people start their research online before they contact a real estate agent to look at homes with them, which is why the internet has become so important in this industry.
- 92 percent of home buyers use the web during their buying process
- 85 percent will visit an agent’s website before requesting more information about any listings! If your site isn’t optimized correctly, it could lead to lost opportunities where leads are concerned.
What does all that mean? It means making sure you have high-quality content related to real estate marketing that can help attract visitors through organic traffic sources like SEO, then convince those prospects into taking action steps by converting them into leads!
Real estate marketing ideas: 17 Types of content that build credibility and trust
Here are seventeen types of content that build credibility and trust:
- Google reviews
- Customer case studies featuring current and former clients
- Include testimonials from satisfied customers on your website so potential clients will have another reason to trust what you’re saying
- Use experiential marketing, e.g., virtual reality tours & open houses
- Real estate listings
- Host webinars where people can sign up to learn more about how to buy homes before they start looking for one themselves
- Write blog posts that address common concerns potential buyers have when purchasing a home or selling their own
- Write blog posts that show in-depth knowledge of your local area and provide prospective buyers with relevant information about what makes particular properties and suburbs exciting and valuable.
- Market reports that speak to investors and buyers
- Email marketing campaigns and regular e-newsletters provide tips, present prospective properties, and give readers info about upcoming local events.
- Create a free online guidebook (PDF, course, or video series) about buying, selling, or investing in real estate
- Create an online questionnaire or quiz that helps prospective buyers assess their readiness for buying.
- Post social media content that’s engaging
- Physical brochures, flyers, and marketing collateral
- Publish a book that helps you build authority as an expert in your industry
- Create a free online guidebook about buying, selling, or investing in real estate
- Publish comprehensive infographics with statistics about local developments and trends related to real estate investing
Social media platforms provide real estate agents with the opportunity to expand their reach and target new customers.
Today’s real estate agents should make sure they have a presence on major social networks such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube for this reason because it helps them receive leads while also improving their brand awareness overall.
Here’s marketing influencer and consultant Gary Vaynerchuk sharing his best tip for people marketing real estate on social media:
Here’s how one real estate agent used video to share a luxury home tour with his audience on Tiktok. This video got over 3 million views!
Showcase Your Properties in Style: Creative ways to market your listings to buyers and sellers
Ten creative ways to market your real estate listings:
1. Include a photo of the property’s exterior on your listing. Optimize for mobile devices.
2. Make sure you include all of the home’s features and amenities in your description
3. Include a floor plan in the listing, so potential buyers can see what they’re getting before they buy
4. Use high-quality photos to create an appealing online presence for your listings
5. Create a blog post that highlights some of the benefits of buying or selling a home with you as their agent
6. Create a flyer with pictures of the house and descriptions of its features, then post it on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter
7. Post an ad about the property on sites and directories where buyers are searching
8. Place ads on real estate websites such as XXX and YYY
9. Add a video tour to your listing so potential buyers can see all the house’s features first-hand
10. Include information about nearby schools, restaurants, grocery stores, etc., so people know what they’re getting into before buying. (This makes for really great content on social media!)
Build a stronger relationship with your clients
Don’t forget that digital marketing content can be used to build stronger relationships with existing clients and partners too.
Here are some ways to make the most of content marketing for nurturing relationships:
- Host free seminars online about how to achieve your client’s goals by buying or selling their home with you as their agent
- Send targeted email newsletters out regularly that provide tips, promote properties, and announce upcoming events in the community related to real estate investing. Cater your marketing messages to your target market and local audience.
- Publish articles about local development updates and trends that would be of interest to your clients and homebuyers
- Offer free consultations and regular check-in calls via phone call or video chat sessions where customers can ask questions anonymously. Provide contact details.
- Invite your best clients to participate in a case study / customer success story.
It’s your turn
This article has given you many creative digital marketing ideas on how to level up your real estate marketing efforts to attract buyers and sell properties in any competitive market.
This might be a lot to comprehend and put into practice. So we recommend you take the following steps:
- Map out a 90-day content marketing strategy that focuses your attention on only a few tactics. If you need help with this, you can book a workshop with an experienced consultant.
- Execute your strategy by regularly producing content to grow your monthly website traffic and generate leads and sales opportunities. Track and measure your results every 90 days. Review and tweak or experiment with new channels as required.
Time-poor or don’t have an in-house marketing person to implement your strategy? Consider outsourcing your content creation. We can assist with this — Book in a complimentary 15-min chat today.